Thursday, January 13, 2011

What's in a Name? Part Deux

Ever wanted to make up a 'Starbucks name?' If you have a name that just doesn't fit within the cultural lexicon where you live, you know why I'm asking. While on some level it's lovely that people helping you at the supermarket or local coffee house want to be friendly and call you by name, I find it a burden. Not because I don't want to be friendly, but because my name most distinctly is not part of the local cultural lexicon. Even in France, where the name Yvette originated, I'm told it's the name of grandmothers. Of course, that means it will be hugely popular in France about a year from now, but that's another story...

When people do recognize recognize my name, it's in the context of a different culture where they spell it with an "E" or an "I" or one "T" at the end. The other week when I asked for my grande non-fat gingerbread latte at Starbucks, the young woman taking my order couldn't get my name right no matter how many times I repeated the spelling. No worries. I knew I'd get my coffee. When I picked it up, I finally saw how she'd spelled my name:

iBet.

I am now a gambling app for an iPhone. I'm sure I'll be very popular.

Next time I go to Starbucks for a latte, I think I'll tell them it's for Holly. Or Hollie, or Holli, or....

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Love it! Try telling them it's for "Kathryn" and being told "that's not the way you spell it."