Monday, October 8, 2007

What's in a Name?

'What's in a name?' Everything.


I've just learned that the hardest thing about having a blog may be choosing the name... Choose right, and everyone will marvel at your wit and inventiveness at creating just the right title for conveying your passions, thoughts and expertise. Choose wrong , and you're stuck with a moniker that people will misunderstand the rest of your blogging life -- or at least until you dump the blog for another title.


I should know about misunderstood naming choices. Years ago, when free email was just getting started, I combined a college nickname with my passion for travel to open a Hotmail account. To this day, I still get people asking me if I'm a car fanatic because of my email address (...if you can figure out what nickname a girl named Yvette would have that rhymes with a car, you pass the test!). And I'm not...a car fanatic...just to be clear. Though I do love those MINI Coopers...


So this time around I spent a whole 20 minutes making my choice, 15 minutes of which involved asking at least five people nearby what they thought before taking the plunge. Now that's what I call market research.


What's in this blog's name? Hopefully, my passion for travel, my passion for all things global, and -- somewhere in the sub-head -- my interest in photographing and writing about the places and people I see and meet.


I hope that by sharing these passions with anyone who cares to pay attention I can inspire one more person to step beyond his or her doorstep to experience a new place. Maybe it's someone who's never left home, or maybe it's someone who's traveled far and wide already. One thing I've learned...the more places I visit, the more places I want to visit.


There's a whole world out there, so let's get going!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

And one of the best most fun things about starting a blog? Getting your first comment! Great name choice. Can't wait for your photos and travel insights to start rolling in.

A BIG FAT CYBER-WOOHOO TO YOU-HOO!!

(Not only am I your first comment, I'll bet I'm at least your second subscriber! BTW: check out statcounter: super easy to set up and such fun to see which countries your hits come from. Wish I had done it Day One.)

:) k

Kathy said...

P.S. Where can I subscribe?

Yvette said...

Thanks for the advice and support, Kathy. Hopefully, as I add more content, photos, etc. there will be more to comment on!